Slow Cooked Tasty Lean Lamb Stew
This Slow Cooked Lamb Stew will fill you and the family up. It's packed full of healthy balanced nutrients and it's a quick and easy recipe, ideal for busy Mums or Dads and a great alternative to the traditional Sunday roast.
Preparation time: 10-15 Minutes
Cooking time: 2 Hours 45 Minutes
- Great source of iron for haemoglobin production
- High in zinc, protein and other essential vitamins and minerals.
- 200g of organic boneless lamb (buy lean cubes or cut into cubes),
- 0.6 litres Organic vegetable stock (low salt) and 1 lamb stock (low salt)
- 1 onion (chopped),
- 20g pearl barley,
- 20g dried green peas,
- 1 fresh thyme sprig,
- 1⁄2 leeks (chopped),
- 1⁄2 swede or turnip (chopped),
- 2 carrots (chopped),
- 1⁄2 savoy cabbage (cored and shredded),
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley (to garnish) pepper,
- oatcakes, to serve 2. 3.
Time to get your chop on, cut up your 1 white onion, 1/2 leek, 1/2 swede (or sweet potato if you prefer), 2 carrots, 1/2 Savoy cabbage (shredded) and all your herbs (fresh: thyme, parley). Done.
Now, place all of those ingreidents that into your slow cooker and move on to the meat. Put the lamb cubes into a large saucepan, add a small amount of olive oil and seal the lamb on a high heat for around 3 minutes Turing frequently to lock in the flavour.
Add the lamb to the slow cooker. Add the barley and peas and pour in the stocks (vegetable and lamb) and place the slow cooker on a high heat and gently simmer for around 2:30 hours.
Try to stir every 30 minute (if possible).
Skim off any fat from the surface of the soup with a slotted spoon and taste and adjust the seasoning, if necessary. Ladle into warmed bowls, sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately with oatcakes.
Use this for a quick, effective and similar result...
Lamb on skewer and mixed roast vegetables. Cooking time less than 25 minutes.